Basement Remodeling Guide
- What Should I Do First?You will need to determine what you will be using the finished space for. Some homeowners choose to remodel or finish only part of their basement by simply creating one extra bedroom with adjoining bathroom, leaving the remainder of the area unfinished for storage or workshop space. Other homeowners choose to finish the entire space in order to maximize the amount of livable space in their home.Some homeowners with young children or teenagers opt to finish their basements in order to create a game room or media room for their children. Basement bars can make get-togethers and holiday parties fun for adults. Some people even choose to implement miniature golf into their basement remodeling project. Many others decide to create a combination of the basement remodeling ideas mentioned above.
By adding one or two extra bedrooms with a full bathroom, an exercise room, and a theatre room, many homeowners are able to significantly increase the resale value of their home. There are several factors for homeowners to consider when making the decision about what type of basement remodeling project to pursue. The list of questions below will help you to determine which basement remodeling idea will work best for you and your family.
- Do You Have Children Or Teenagers Living At Home?If you have children or teenagers living at home, consider a design idea that would allow your kids or teens to have a gathering place for entertaining their friends. This will keep their messes confined to the basement which is always a plus! Many homeowners with teens choose to create one large media room with a full bathroom. Don’t forget to leave room in the budget for a pool table and big screen!Remember that this type of basement remodel is also fun for adults. While the kids are away at camp, cuddle up with your spouse on your micro suede sectional and watch a DVD or blue ray disk in HD while enjoying your surround sound theatre equipment! Other options for enhancing the level of entertainment in your basement are popcorn makers and bars.
- Do You Do A Lot Of Entertaining?If you and your spouse frequently host the annual New Year’s Eve party and Super Bowl Sunday festivities, consider including a full bar, mini-kitchen, and theatre sound into your basement remodeling design. Now, all you’ll need is a little Marvin Gaye, some wine for the wine cooler, beer for the fridge and a few bottles of your favorite beverages to get the party started!
- Do You Frequently Entertain Company From Out Of Town Who Need A More Private Place To Sleep And Bathe Than Your Main Floor Spare Bedroom?If your mother-in-law likes to drop in for two week stays, make it easier on everyone and offer her premium comfort and peace in one of the new bedrooms in your basement. This way she won’t be bothered with the traffic she’d have to deal with staying in the room between the kids’ rooms. And you won’t wake her before you leave for a busy day at the office or a day packed full of errands!
- Do You Or Does Anyone In Your Family Exercise Regularly?If you enjoy working out, but keep your exercise equipment in the garage or in the spare bedroom closet, think about incorporating a place to exercise into your basement remodeling plans. Many people who have done this have actually found that having a designated place in their home to exercise actually increased their adherence to a workout regimen. So, perhaps if you are thinking about starting a work out plan, this is a great way to encourage yourself to participate.All of the basement remodeling ideas above can be as simple or as involved as your budget allows. You can build a media room without a 60″ plasma television and stained concrete. And you can definitely add a bar to your remodeling plans without including a wine cooler and granite countertops.
Now that you have determined what you would like to use the space in your basement for, the next step in planning your basement remodeling project is determining your budget parameters.
- How Do I Know What My Basement Remodel Will Cost?Basement remodeling is one of the most popular home remodeling projects performed today. Whether homeowners are looking to expand their living space to accommodate their family’s needs, or are looking to resell their home, basement remodeling is a great way to increase your home’s overall market value, especially when you consider the cost of adding an addition which requires a foundation, new walls, and a roof. You can get the same amount of space by finishing your basement, for a whole lot less per square foot of space.
- But what kind of a budget should you set aside for your basement remodeling project? What are the cost averages for a basement remodel? What individual contracting services are factored into that cost?According to Remodeling Magazine’s 2014 Cost vs. Value Report, the national average cost for a midrange basement remodel is $63,378.00. This is for an average size basement including a new bathroom and possibly a bar area or small kitchenette, a few walls, electric, lighting, new flooring, drywall, painting, trim, etc… Again, this is for an average project in a fairly modern home. Costs can go up or down depending on many factors. Generally, the biggest cost factors will be:
Size of your basement
Scale & scope of the basement remodeling project
Geographic project region
Choice of materials
Attention to detail and quality of work.
To be completely satisfied with your basement remodeling project, and to have it turn out just the way you want it, it’s important to choose a reputable contractor with experience in basement remodeling. One who not only shares your vision, but can execute your plans. Your basement can be anything you want it to be—home theater, game room, home gym, or work space—the key is finding the right contractor to work with.
Experience Our Services
If you’re located in our service area, which encompasses Louisville ,KY and the surrounding communities, why not call on us for some free advice? We truly enjoy speaking with people about their remodeling plans.
Having served this community for more than 28 years, we have extensive experience in all of the following remodeling services and more:
Additions and Major Renovations
Kitchen & Bathroom Remodeling
New Countertops and Cabinetry
Basement and Attic Spaces
Energy Efficient Window and Door Replacement – Featuring Marvin™, Andersen™, Pella™, Simpson™ & Therma-Tru™
Year after year dozens of discerning homeowners trust their homes and remodeling projects to us and our team of designers, trade partners and craftsmen. The vast majority of our work is repeat and referral business.
As a professional, “full-service” remodeling contractor, we will work with you to incorporate your ideas and ours into a project that best fits your home, lifestyle, and budget. Large or small, we can take your project from concept to completion and our services are second to none.
If you would like to discuss the exciting possibilities for improving your home with a qualified and reputable remodeling company, simply give us a call today at (502) 807-4441
We’ll be happy to discuss your needs over the phone to see if we can help. Then, at no cost and without any obligation, we’ll be happy to set up a consultation in your home to have a closer look, discuss your ideas, make suggestions, and answer all of your questions.